SportsXpress.com, SportsXpress.ca and our associated network of local community SportsXpress websites is provided by SportsXpress Media Inc. (Hereafter, these websites are referred to as “SportsXpress” and/or “SportsXpress Network” and/or “site”).
SportsXpress is committed to following PIPEDA’s 10 Fair Information Principles, which are:
Accountability: We have a Privacy Officer who is responsible for compliance, ensuring protection of all personal information held by us or transferred to a third party for processing, and the development and implementation of personal information policies and practices.
Identifying purposes: SportsXpress is committed to identifying the reasons for collecting personal information, before or at the time of collection. Before or when any personal information is collected, our clients will know why it is needed and how it will be used. We maintain documentation as to why the information is collected; inform the individual from whom the information is collected why it is needed; and identify any new purpose for the information and obtain the individual’s consent before using it.
Consent: We will inform our clients of the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of personal data and obtain individual consent before or at the time of collection, as well as when a new use is identified, except where inappropriate (i.e where required or permitted by law).
Limiting collection: SportsXpress does not collect personal information indiscriminately and will not deceive or mislead individuals about the reasons for collecting personal information.
Limiting use, disclosure, and retention: We are committed to using and disclosing personal information only for the purpose for which it was collected, unless the individual consents, or the use or disclosure is authorized by PIPEDA. SportsXpress also agrees to keep personal information only as long as necessary to satisfy its proper purposes; implement guidelines and procedures in place for retaining and destroying personal information; and keep personal information used to make a decision about a person only for a reasonable period of time. We are also committed to destroying, erasing or rendering anonymous information that is no longer required for an identified purpose or a legal requirement.
Accuracy: SportsXpress is committed to minimizing the possibility of using incorrect information when making a decision about the individual or when disclosing information to third parties.
Safeguards: We are committed to protecting personal information against loss or theft; safeguarding the information from unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification; and protecting personal information regardless of the format in which it is held.
Openness: SportsXpress is committed to informing our customers, clients and employees that we have policies and practices for the management of personal information, and strives to make these policies and practices understandable and easily available.
Individual access: When requested, SportsXpress is committed to:
- informing individuals if we are in possession of any personal information about them;
- explaining how it is or has been used and providing a list of any organizations to which it has been disclosed;
- giving individuals access to their information;
- correcting or amending any personal information if its accuracy and completeness is challenged and found to be deficient, and;
- providing a copy of the information requested, or reasons for not providing access, subject to exception set out in Section 9 of PIPEDA
SportsXpress also undertakes to note any disagreement on privacy matters on a file and advise third parties where appropriate.
Providing recourse: SportsXpress has developed simple and easily accessible complaint procedures and undertakes to inform complainants of avenues or recourse. These include not only our own complaint procedures, but of those of industry associations, regulatory bodies and the Privacy Commissioner of Canada. SportsXpress undertakes to investigate all complaints received and take appropriate measures to correct information handling practices and policies.
For more information regarding PIPEDA, your privacy rights and privacy laws, please visit the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at http://www.privcom.gc.ca/
(External site; SportsXpress is not responsible for site contents)
PERSONAL INFORMATION SPORTSXPRESS COLLECTS:
Personal information is information that refers to you specifically. With your consent, we may gather personal information from you in person, over the telephone or by corresponding with you via mail or the Internet.
The type of information we usually collect and maintain in your customer file may include your:
Name (first and surname)
Place of Employment
Business Telephone Number
Name(s) of Owner(s), Officer(s) and Director(s)
Reasons for having your personal information
Without collecting your personal information, SportsXpress won’t have any way of identifying you.
The personal information you provide allows us to do a variety of things:
Maintain accurate records
Send you updates
Provide you with third party offerings that may be of interest to you
Should you prefer to not let us have or keep your personal information, you will need to say so when you access the site.
Some personal information you give SportsXpress is needed to register you for our services. Other optional information that we ask you to share with us allows us to improve our products and services and provide you with more personalized services.
HOW IS YOUR INFORMATION USED
SportsXpress does not sell or distribute our client’s personal information under any circumstance. But we do share your file in order to:
1) Serve you. We occasionally contract with certain suppliers or vendors.
2) Compile records and reports.
3) Report to industry partners.
The information that you supply to SportsXpress will be used to respond to your inquiries and to provide you with other products and services. We may authorize third party suppliers and service providers to use this information to assist us in providing additional products and services. If you are processing a credit card transaction with us, we will collect verification information from our credit card authorization services. We may provide information about you, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, your company or business name, age range (only if you provide it to us), and gender (only if you provide it to us) to our partners, suppliers or vendors.
These businesses may use this information for marketing their services and products to you, but our agreements with them will prohibit any other uses of this information. We will work with such businesses to ensure their compliance with respect to restrictions on your use of information, though we cannot guarantee compliance in all cases.
SportsXpress may use your personal information to contact you by telephone, email or regular mail in respect of offerings, promotions, announcements, market research surveys and to effectively administer our relationship with you. The use of the information collected in such market research surveys will be explained to you in such surveys. You will be able to “unsubscribe” to promotional mailings and contacts at any time, but certain communications from us including service announcements and administrative messages are essential to our services and you may not opt out of receiving them.
SportsXpress may share aggregate information about our users with advertisers, business partners, and other third parties, but such information will not personally identify any individual.
Please note that SportsXpress has no responsibility for the privacy policies and practices on Web sites that may be linked to our Web sites or to companies that may provide additional products or services. You should refer to those organizations’ own privacy policies to learn how they collect, use and disclose information about you.
SportsXpress may disclose your information in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, investigate, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be engaging in illegal activity or may be causing injury to or interference with (intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, its users, or anyone else. We may also disclose your information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
Does my employer have access to my records?
Your company may require you to complete an information release consent form. If we receive a completed copy of your form, we will release your personal information to your employer.
How do you ensure my personal information is safe?
When you enter sensitive personal information such as your credit card number online, that information is protected during transmission by using industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption technology. While you are on a secure page, the lock icon will appear in the bottom right corner of Web browsers (such as Internet Explorer) indicating that the information you are providing will be transmitted using SSL encryption technology; when you are just “surfing”, the clock is unlocked and in most cases will not appear on the screen. Paper-based forms and reports containing personal information are kept in a locked cabinet or in a locked room, with access key restrictions.
How long will SportsXpress keep information about me?
SportsXpress will only keep in its system personal information that it needs to identify your activities and to offer you services.
How do I change or update my personal information?
If you want to change or update your information or profile on our database, please email info@SportsXpress.ca or contact our representative by phone.
Yes. If we make important changes, we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on our home page. Once we tell you about such changes, you will let us know that you accept them by continuing to use our Web site and our services. In addition, since we have the right to change this policy, as circumstances require, you should visit our Web site from time to time to re-read the policy.
OUR OPT-OUT POLICY
We’re selective about the mail you receive. At times, we invite you to take advantage of special offers or inform you of new benefits. All of these mailings come only from us, our affiliates, or other well established companies. Each offer is carefully developed to ensure it meets our standards.
Should you wish, for any reason, to not receive such offers, please contact our Chief Privacy officer in one of the two following ways:
Use of Social Technologies on SportsXpress:
We collect the following types of information from our users:
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features. The personal information we collect includes:
* Registration: In order for you to use certain SportsXpress services, such as submitting new articles to the site, you must complete a registration form including your full name and email address.
* Member Profile: You have the option (but are not required) to enter your full name along with other information into your member profile for public display on the site.
* User Content: You may post your own stories on the Service as well as comment on the stories of others (collectively your “User Content”).
Any information you choose to enter in your public profile will be visible to other users of SportsXpress; and when you interact with other users (for example, sending an email), a link to your public profile may be displayed. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information through SportsXpress, or other public online forums, this information may be collected and used by others. We caution you against providing personal information to strangers online, which they may use for illegal or harmful purposes.
How SportsXpress Uses this Information:
* Social sharing of User Content: SportsXpress allows other users to browse stories that you have written, edited, or commented on. This information is made available via your member profile or within the article or history page of the story in which you performed the action on. SportsXpress may choose to post this data on other site features in the future.
* Profile information: SportsXpress allows other users to browse your full name, and other information within your member profile should you provide this optional information.
* Syndication: SportsXpress allows for the RSS syndication of all of its public content within the website.
* SportsXpress may allow third parties access to all data that is already publicly available through SportsXpress through an application program interface that allows other programs to interact with the site. SportsXpress will keep passwords and blog settings private.
* Traffic data: SportsXpress uses this traffic data, including information gathered from cookies, to help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze trends, research the market for our services, and administer the website.
We may collect information about your visit, including the pages you view, the links you click and other actions taken in connection with SportsXpress sites and services. We also collect certain standard information that your browser sends to every website or service you visit, such as your IP address, browser type and language, access times and referring Web site addresses. Some services managed by SportsXpress may be co-branded and offered in conjunction with another company. If you register for or use such services, both SportsXpress and the other company may receive information collected in conjunction with the co-branded services.
Sharing of the Information SportsXpress Receives:
We will not rent nor sell your personal information to anyone. We share your personal information only as described below.
* With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your personal information may be shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to prevent the sharing of this information by opting out.
Security of this Information:
* Your SportsXpress account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and account information.
* Only SportsXpress employees who need personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to it. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices.
* SportsXpress uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, SportsXpress makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. This information includes your User Content. You understand and acknowledge that, even after removal, copies of User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored your User Content.
You can access your personal information on our website and correct, amend, or delete information that is inaccurate by visiting your user profile setting page.
* You can always opt not to disclose information, but then you may be unable to use certain features on our website.
* You can choose to disable or reject cookies from the Service, but you may not then be able to access many features of SportsXpress.
* You can add or update certain information on pages of the Site. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
* You may request deletion of your SportsXpress account by emailing us at info@SportsXpress.ca.
Children Using SportsXpress’ Services:
You must be at least 13 years or older to register to use the SportsXpress website. Children between the age of 13 and 18 must have parental/guardian consent to register. SportsXpress does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under 13, please do not send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. No one under age 13 is allowed to provide any personal information to or on SportsXpress sites. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without verification of consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at Info@SportsXpress.com.
Use of Web Beacons:
Pages from SportsXpress may contain electronic images known as Web beacons that allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. We may include Web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon.
We may also place Web beacons from third parties on our site in order to compile aggregated statistics and to help determine the effectiveness of our joint promotional or advertising campaigns.
Finally, we may work with other companies that advertise on SportsXpress to place Web beacons on their sites in order to allow us to develop statistics on how often clicking on an advertisement on SportsXpress results in a purchase or other action on the advertiser’s site.
Use of Third Party Ad Networks:
The majority of the online banner advertisements you see on our Web pages are displayed by SportsXpress. However, we allow other companies, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, to display advertisements on SportsXpress pages. Some of these ad networks may place a persistent cookie on your computer in order to recognize your computer each time they send you an online advertisement. In this way, ad networks may compile information about where you, or others who are using your computer, saw their advertisements and determine which ads are clicked on. This information allows an ad network to deliver targeted advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you. SportsXpress does not have access to the cookies that may be placed by the third-party ad servers or ad networks.
We maintain relationships with a number of the third-party ad networks currently operating. Those ad networks that use persistent cookies may offer you a way to opt out of ad targeting.
You may find more information at the Web site of either the individual ad network or the Network Advertising Initiative.
Use of Other Websites:
QUESTIONS, CONCERNS & COMPLAINTS
If you have a concern or complaint about privacy, confidentiality or the information handling practices of SportsXpress, our employees or service suppliers, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer in any of the two following ways:
SportsXpress Media Inc.
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
50 Ottawa St S., Unit 110
Kitchener, ON N2G 3S7
Copyright Sports Xpress Media Inc.